All organizations seeking accreditation as an Inspection Body must meet the general requirements of ISO/IEC 17020:1998 as outlined in A2LA document R301 - General Requirements - Accreditation of ISO/IEC 17020 Inspection Bodies. A2LA's official application of the standard is consistent with the current version of IAF/ILAC-A4 Guidance on the Application of ISO/IEC 17020. (IAF/ILAC-A4 Guidance on the Application of ISO/IEC 17020 may be obtained free of charge in the documents section of the ILAC web site WWW.ILAC.ORG or by contacting A2LA headquarters).
In effect, A2LA accreditation attests that an inspection body has demonstrated that:
- it is competent to perform specific inspections or specific types of inspections; and
- its quality system is documented, fully operational and addresses and conforms to all elements of ISO/IEC 17020-1998, IAF/ILAC A4:2004 and A2LA official applications of these standards;
- it is operating in accordance its quality system; and
- it conforms to any additional requirements of A2LA or specific fields or programs necessary to meet particular user needs.
A2LA recognizes the very close relationship between inspection, sampling, testing and measurement yet understands that inspection includes a variety of activities not covered in testing laboratory accreditation. Inspection includes the examination of materials, products, components, assemblies, cargoes and consignments, usually for compliance with specified criteria. It includes visual examination and associated work, and may be more directly focused on products. A2LA staff can advise potential applicants of the appropriate field of inspection for the accreditation of their inspection activities. An inspection body which is engaged in testing, measurement or sampling work may apply for accreditation for this work concurrently with its application for accreditation for inspection.
APPLYING FOR ACCREDITATION:
- The A2LA Board of Directors has issued a policy requiring all CABs to have an official copy of ISO/IEC 17020. CABs are being asked to confirm, in writing to A2LA, that the official copy is available on-site. To view and print the ISO/IEC 17020 confirmation form, click here.
- Print and complete F301 - Application for Accreditation - ISO-IEC 17020 Inspection Bodies.
- Provide A2LA with confirmation of ownership of ISO/IEC 17020 by sending completed F326 form directly to A2LA via email at info@A2LA.org or via fax to 301 662 2974.
- R301 - General Requirements - Accreditation of ISO-IEC 17020 Inspection Bodies
- P101 - Reference to A2LA Accredited Status - A2LA Advertising Policy
- R102 - Conditions for Accreditation
- When tests and measurements are involved as part of the inspection process and measurement traceability is required, organizations seeking accreditation for forensic inspection must also meet A2LA policy P102 - A2LA Policy on Measurement Traceability.
- Print and review the General Requirements for Accreditation, A2LA document R301 - General Requirements - Accreditation of ISO-IEC 17020 Inspection Bodies.
- Print and review the A2LA policy P102 - A2LA Policy on Measurement Traceability. To locate an acceptable source of calibration services, please search the A2LA Scopes of Accreditation. Alternatively, you can choose a calibration laboratory that is accredited by one of our mutual recognition arrangement partners.
- Print and review the A2LA policy P101 - Reference to A2LA Accredited Status - A2LA Advertising Policy.
If you have any questions regarding this program, please contact at 301 644 3228.