A2LA offers a two-tiered Proficiency Testing Provider Accreditation Program:
- The traditional program is based upon ISO/IEC 17043:2010, "Conformity assessment-General requirements for proficiency testing" which is available for a wide range of proficiency testing schemes covering numerous fields of testing and calibration; and
- The NELAC Institute (TNI) Proficiency Testing Provider Accreditor / Proficiency Testing Oversight Body (PTPA/PTOB) program which is exclusively for those applicants seeking to become A2LA (TNI) Proficiency Testing Providers.
A2LA Accreditation Program for Providers of Proficiency Testing (PT)
The A2LA Accreditation Program for Providers of Proficiency Testing (PT) is designed for proficiency testing providers who wish to demonstrate their competence by formal compliance with a set of internationally-acceptable requirements for the planning and implementation of proficiency testing programs. The program will also provide users of proficiency testing programs (laboratories, accreditation bodies, regulators, technical assessors, etc.) increased confidence that the programs being relied upon are being operated competently in accordance with specified technical and management system requirements.
The specific assessment requirements for this program are listed in C316-General Checklist: ISO/IEC 17043 Proficiency Testing Provider Accreditation Program and are based on the requirements contained in the ISO/IEC 17043 Conformity assessment-General Requirements for Proficiency Testing.
Note that this program applies only to the use of inter-laboratory comparisons for the purpose of proficiency testing (to determine the performance of individual laboratories for specific tests or measurements and to monitor laboratories' continuing performance.)Â It does not include determining the effectiveness and precision of test methods or determining the characteristics of a material to a particular degree of accuracy, such as in the preparation of reference materials. Please note that A2LA offers a separate accreditation for Reference Material Producers which is based on ISO Guide 34:2009.
A2LA recommends that, whenever possible, A2LA-accredited testing and calibration laboratories use accredited PT providers to meet the A2LA requirements for participation in proficiency testing.
- Application Form
- A2LA Document R302 - General Requirements: Accreditation of ISO-IEC 17043 Proficiency Testing Providers
- F324 - Ownership Confirmation: ISO/IEC 17043
Please follow this link to view a listing of our currently accredited proficiency testing providers:
View listing of accredited Proficiency Testing Providers
A2LA TNI PTPA/PTOB Program
The NELAC Institute (TNI) recognizes A2LA as the TNI Proficiency Testing Provider Accreditor (PTPA) and Proficiency Testing Oversight Body (PTOB).
View listing of A2LA Accredited TNI Proficiency Testing Providers
This technically rigorous accreditation program is based on the following requirements: ISO/IEC 17043:2010, "Conformity assessment-General requirements for proficiency testing", and relevant sections of ISO/IEC 17025:2005, ISO Guide 34:2009, and TNI EL-V3: 2009.
This program offers proficiency testing providers an accreditation that covers all of the TNI Fields of Proficiency Testing.
- Application Form
- R303 - General Requirements: TNI Proficiency Testing and SSAS Provider Accreditation Program
- F303 - Ownership Confirmation: TNI PT-SSAS Provider Accreditation Program
- Memorandum - March 2011: PTOB Study Upload Website and Experimental FoPTs: Drinking Water, Non-Potable Water, and Solid & Chemical Material Experimental Fields of Proficiency Testing (FoPT) tables have been removed from the TNI website as of March 3, 2011.
Please contact Randy Querry, direct line (301) 644-3221 / email rquerry@A2LA.org or Rob Knake direct line (301) 644-3218 / email rknake@A2LA.org for any questions regarding A2LA's Proficiency Testing Provider Accreditation Program.